Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Pancake Showdown

I miss pancakes.

It wasn't the gluten that did it to me. It was the dairy. I can't seem to find a good pancake recipe that doesn't need gluten or dairy to be delicious. I used to rely on a mix: Pamela's Baking and Pancake Mix. It was easy to whip up and delicious. I could use it in more complicated pancake recipes and they would turn out beautifully. But it has buttermilk powder in it, so it's been retired until my boy is done nursing.

In an attempt to find the best pancake mix out there, I invited four friends over for a pancake showdown. We ate about 50 pancakes. It was mayhem. Everyone took careful notes and discussed the benefits and limitations of each one. Then we cleaned the house and the notes went missing.

This is what I remember:

Hodgson Mill Pancake and Waffle Mix 
This was the clear favourite. It is gluten and dairy free, to boot! It is light, fluffy, and had some height to it. It is made with flax so it isn't white, if that's your thing. This is the one I will be buying from now on.

Pamela's Baking and Pancake Mix
Everyone liked the flavour of this one. Some testers said it was too thin.

The rest of them blend together into one amorphous, maple, doughy mess. Only one was terrible, but I can't remember which one it was.

This is definitely not the most informative post ever written.

But it's an opening to talk more about pancakes. I am now on a determined mission to find one or two or three recipes that come together quickly and taste fantastic.

p.s. thanks to my taste testers: Alex, Brendan, Paul, Bethany! You're sure ate a lot of pancakes.

4 comments:

  1. "Then we cleaned the house and the notes went missing." LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 eggs
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1 3/4 cups rice milk

    2 cups buckwheat flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    a good hefty pinch of salt

    mix the eggs and oil, then mix in rice milk.

    mix all the dry stuff in a different bowl, then add wet stuff to dry stuff and stir together.

    use dairy free butter-like stuff ("earth balance" is particularly great)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going to try it tomorrow - thanks for the lead!

      Delete