Wednesday, March 28, 2012

News Flash

Here's something I didn't expect: when you write a blog, people suddenly start sending you pertinent information that your blog readers might enjoy. This has happened THREE times in the last few days. So I thought I'd pass it on, even though it's not breakfast related.

1) Bone Density
I got a sweet email from my friend in Switzerland the other day. Here's what she had to say: "I was thinking about you after I saw the blog, because I just had a bone density test done. If you have Celiac Disease, it puts you in a higher risk bracket for osteoporosis. I wanted to mention it to you because in my experience doctors aren't very good at making sure their gf patients get the test done and it's something pretty much asymptomatic (unless you get a fracture). "

I'd like to hear if any of you have success getting a "pro-active" bone density scan. I think doctors are reluctant to order that test unless their patient is in real danger (i.e. are over 65). Let me know. I'll ask my doctor and report back.

2) Tax Deductions
I also got an email from my supersmart accountant/sister-in-law who wanted me to let you know there are tax deductions available for people with celiac disease. You can claim some of the cost of food. From my understanding of it, you can claim gf baked goods, cereals, etc. and ingredients to make baked goods. You need three things: a doctor's note confirming that you have celiac disease and require these products, a little itemized list of the products you are claiming, and a receipt for each thing on your list. CRA then calculates the difference between what you paid and what you would be paying for a similar gluten-containing item. I can't tell if there is a limit.


3) Pete's
Aidan and Jen from Schoolhouse Gluten-Free Gourmet send out a weekly email full of helpful info. This week there was this juicy tidbit: "We are so excited to tell you that Pete's Frootique (Halifax) will be opening a Gluten-Free Cafe and Coffee Bar on Monday April 9th (Easter Monday). We are thrilled to see a dedicated gluten-free venture open in Halifax. We are proud supporters of the cafe and will be supplying them with all of our products. Aidan and I will be at the opening on April 9th sampling products. Come on down to support and check out the space!"

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment